Ready to Connect was created through Scotiabank’s, ScotiaRISE initiative to support students from underrepresented groups' transition from high school graduates to proud alumni of Lethbridge College. Ready to Connect will help students by providing them with a structure for academic success, career development and financial aid throughout their education. Students will complete four activities each semester and regularly meet with the Career Development Coordinator. Most activities are the students' choice, activities can include:
- Attending Lethbridge College Students Association events
- Taking part in academic and career related workshops
- Joining a student club
- Program networking events
Mentorship is a central component of the Ready to Connect program, and students will be partnered with a mentor to learn from. By pairing students with a mentor from their academic program we hope to create a community for students to feel supported and build success.
Why should you join Ready to Connect?
This program is designed to better prepare you for success as you work to complete a Lethbridge College program by providing:
- Guidance from Lethbridge College professionals
- Support services including financial aid, academic skills support and wellness
- Ongoing career development support, with a curated transition plan created in the student’s final semester.
- Strong mentorship
- Financial support
To be eligible for Ready to Connect, students must be:
- A current high school student who aligns and identifies with traditionally underrepresented groups but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, women, visible minorities, 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals, persons with disabilities and newcomers to Canada.
What can I expect as a Ready to Connect high school student?
- Once enrolled in Ready to Connect, you will work with Lethbridge College professionals on a range of activities to support your transition to the college.
- Career exploration activities to be exposed to the many job opportunities they will have after graduation
- Peer-to-peer support from a current student serving as mentor
- Program funding to alleviate financial barriers to college
- Support from Lethbridge College advisors and recruiters
- Participation in activities such as campus tours or Career Transitions EPIC event
Once students have applied to the college, they can apply for the Ready to Connect program using this Application Form. Each year there is 20 spots in the program so applying early is recommended. The high school portion of the program does not begin until February but can be started at any point between February and August.